cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Billing Complaint

My SSL renewal for $449.00 is set to auto-renew in 2/23/2020. Their renewal notice (received in November) says,  "Auto-renews on 2/24/2020."  There's no reason for me to take action or worry about something set to auto-renew on a given date.  However, Godaddy elected to disregard the renewal date and bill me in December of 2019 to help close their year with higher sales.  This is billing malpractice.  So not only did I pay for the plan in 2019, but I also was forced to renew in 2019, which was never disclosed upfront.  This is bull$#!%.  This must be reported and posted everywhere online and on social media. This is beyond being a service or product issues, this is a company policy problem.  I am considering migrating all my sites and my server to another provider.  I encourage everyone to disable your auto-renew so you are not billed months prior.    

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User II

I believe for SSL the system starts attempting auto-renewal 60 days before expiry to help avoid service interruption.  Though the notice in your account is a little confusing as it seems to say when the product would actually be expired instead.  Hopefully they could make this clearer, possibly having separate entries for expiration date and the first auto-renewal attempt.

View solution in original post

"Hopefully they could make this clearer?"  Thanks, Nate, but to a user, a renewal date is  the billing date--the only time the account holder is expected to be billed, which must be upheld at all costs.  My SSL account still says February as my renewal date.  Here's a question, if I am billed 60 days in advance, is there some kind of action taken on my behalf 59 days out?  If not, then the 60-day mark is B.S. 

So why doesn't GoDaddy clarify this $#!%?  If there is an alternate billing date for whatever reason, then change it to something else like, "Renewal Payment Date" displayed alongside the calendar renewal date so that there is some level of expectation and transparency, not some vague email cluttered in my Spam folder that still shows the later date as the expected billing date.   Good friggin' lord.  Who's running this operating?  Kids?         

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II

I believe for SSL the system starts attempting auto-renewal 60 days before expiry to help avoid service interruption.  Though the notice in your account is a little confusing as it seems to say when the product would actually be expired instead.  Hopefully they could make this clearer, possibly having separate entries for expiration date and the first auto-renewal attempt.

"Hopefully they could make this clearer?"  Thanks, Nate, but to a user, a renewal date is  the billing date--the only time the account holder is expected to be billed, which must be upheld at all costs.  My SSL account still says February as my renewal date.  Here's a question, if I am billed 60 days in advance, is there some kind of action taken on my behalf 59 days out?  If not, then the 60-day mark is B.S. 

So why doesn't GoDaddy clarify this $#!%?  If there is an alternate billing date for whatever reason, then change it to something else like, "Renewal Payment Date" displayed alongside the calendar renewal date so that there is some level of expectation and transparency, not some vague email cluttered in my Spam folder that still shows the later date as the expected billing date.   Good friggin' lord.  Who's running this operating?  Kids?         

Hi @DavidCA,

Welcome to the Community!

The previous answer by @Nate is correct. An SSL has a different renewal path so that your website will never be without the site/browser security. You are able to renew 90 days ahead of expiration, and if auto-renewal is applied, it will be billed at day 60. No time is lost on the SSL with this advance billing; the final expiration date remains the same. You can read more about applying the renewal to your certificate here

The users in this community forum have no access to your account or ability to review a billing event. Please contact our customer support team at one of the numbers in the link below so you can discuss the charges and determine the status of the certificate. If calling isn't an option for you, please try our live chat available Monday-Friday from 5am-6pm Arizona time (MST) on the US/English home page (https://www.godaddy.com/help/contact-us).

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support