cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain stolen

My account was accessed by a client by providing credit card info with out my authority they took a few of my domain names changed my account info which I have now updated I have contacted godaddy multiple times only to be told there is nothing they can do and had ne email undo@godaddy.com

their response was because I knew the person that it cannot be reversed ? how does this happen ? how do I get my domain back ? how is it so easy for someone to take a domain name I own and paid for but my only recourse to getting it back is to file a court order ? also the person lied and said we were partners this is insane to be treated like this as a long time client this is very bad business     

3 REPLIES 3
Rockstar II

@scottmilbury wrote:

My account was accessed by a client by providing credit card info with out my authority they took a few of my domain names changed my account info which I have now updated I have contacted godaddy multiple times only to be told there is nothing they can do and had ne email undo@godaddy.com

their response was because I knew the person that it cannot be reversed ? how does this happen ? how do I get my domain back ? how is it so easy for someone to take a domain name I own and paid for but my only recourse to getting it back is to file a court order ? also the person lied and said we were partners this is insane to be treated like this as a long time client this is very bad business     

@scottmilbury was the client listed on your account? How did they get access to your credit card number? Email undo@godaddy.com, that's your first step. The domain name will already be locked down for 60 days because the account information was updated, this will be more than enough time to work with Godaddy on getting your domain back.

----

already took that step and go a response that because I knew the person I would need a court order to get the domain back again never gave any access only that they had a card on file that was paying hosting this with a few lies told to get access was enough to get my domains transferred no one mentioned a lockdown just that I am screwed and need to get a court order absolutely rediculous someone can steal my property on minutes but I cant get it back with out a lawyer very very disturbing and now I do not have access to MY domains  

Similar story here.  Had an ex client impersonate me, and STOLE 4 names out of my account.  Contacted 'undo@godaddy.com' and they said " The ownership change for *.NET, *.NET, *.COM and *.COM was done by someone you know, which makes this a domain dispute. In order for us to take action in this situation we would require an order from a court or an arbitration forum. 
Here are a couple options for you to consider:
1. Contact the current owner of the domain name (I did, received NO response.  Shock, surprise... NOT!)
2. Consult legal counsel regarding your options (I am and hope to sue, sue, sue anyone and EVERYONE involved)
We are left with no alternative but to consider the investigation closed.

What investigation?  

What about that part in the email that states "If for any reason this information is incorrect or you feel this change of registrant request was made in error, please contact us within 15 days at undo"  I called GoDaddy support within 72 hours.  Little good it did.  Run around and round and round.....  I wrote to 'undo' and because this person is one of hundreds of clients, and "I KNOW them", it's considered a domain dispute, aka, YOU'RE BEAT!  Doesn't matter that I have been a GoDaddy reseller for over 15 years, or that I have 18 years worth of receipts and documentation showing beyond ANY doubt, these names are mine.  This low-life slug that stole them has NOTHING.  And they are using them causing hundreds of my clients undo harm.  A mail server name and a NAME SERVER name were 2 of the names stolen!  But my recourse is to jump through hoops like I'M the one trying to do something untoward?  Really?????

Of course the first thing they did after transferring was change ALL the contact info to themselves.  Which tells me they didn't act alone because I know for a fact this person isn't near smart enough to even think about doing that on their own.  And the names they stole just happen to be something an ISP would consider 'golden'.....