cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Automatic Renewal for 2 Years

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for anyone that responds.

I left two domains on 'auto renew' and, sure enough, they auto renewed, but for 2 years each. I only wanted to renew for 1 year for each domain. Is there a way to roll back the additional year. And does Godaddy automatically default to a 2 year renewal if left on 'auto renew?'

Appreciatively,

-Ray

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User II

@RayWrites 

Yes, by default when you register the domain and select auto-renew, it will attempt to renew for 2 years at a time. You can change this setting in your account management.

If you want to keep the domain, you'll have to take the hit for this one as there is no way to refund a year of domain registration that I can think of, but that being said you may want to reach out to GoDaddy support to see if they might have an option.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Hi @RayWrites,

Welcome to the Community!

The previous reply is correct. When a domain renews, time of registration is added to the domain at the Registry. Once time has been added to a domain, GoDaddy is not able to have the Registry remove any time, or refund without completely deleting the domain. A domain set to auto-renewal will renew for the same period of time that it was registered. If it was registered for 2 years, it will auto-renew for 2 years. If originally registered for 5 years, it will renew for 5. You get it. You can reset this cycle by manually renewing your domain in the account prior to expiration for your preferred term. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II

@RayWrites 

Yes, by default when you register the domain and select auto-renew, it will attempt to renew for 2 years at a time. You can change this setting in your account management.

If you want to keep the domain, you'll have to take the hit for this one as there is no way to refund a year of domain registration that I can think of, but that being said you may want to reach out to GoDaddy support to see if they might have an option.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi @RayWrites,

Welcome to the Community!

The previous reply is correct. When a domain renews, time of registration is added to the domain at the Registry. Once time has been added to a domain, GoDaddy is not able to have the Registry remove any time, or refund without completely deleting the domain. A domain set to auto-renewal will renew for the same period of time that it was registered. If it was registered for 2 years, it will auto-renew for 2 years. If originally registered for 5 years, it will renew for 5. You get it. You can reset this cycle by manually renewing your domain in the account prior to expiration for your preferred term. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support