cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resolver I

DNS Template With Forwarding

I want to create a DNS template AND use url forwarding. I tried to play around with the template a bit but I'm not sure how the "Forwarding" would be impacted if I start to make changes. Here is an example DNS I see in my domain manager. Notice that the forwarding url is not specified and the 'ns73' subdomain strings.

A @ Forwarded 600 seconds
CNAME ftp @ 1 Hour
CNAME www @ 1 Hour
CNAME _domainconnect _domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
NS @ ns73.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
NS @ ns74.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
SOA @ Primary nameserver: ns73.domaincontrol.com. 1 Hour

If I create a DNS template to forward a domain using the DNS Management - Manage Templates feature which lines can I omit, and which can I safely repeat? Since I am 301 or 302 redirecting it should be safe to say I do not need ftp or email for such domains. I do need to add SPF and Ownership Verification TXT records. Would something like the following work: 

CNAME www @ 1 Hour

TXT @ v=spf1 -all

TXT @ abc123abc123abc123

Above I removed the ftp entry. I added two TXT records for SPF and Ownership Verification.

Will the NS and SOA always be the same, or, is this feature meant specifically for self-hosting? In other words I'm trying to change what GoDaddy writes and I do NOT want to self host.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

.....................................................................................
Domainer, Web Developer, JohnNapoletano.com
4 REPLIES 4
Resolver I

Re: DNS Template With Forwarding

-- UPDATE --

After playing around some more I observed the following:

(1) These lines seem to work fine in a DNS template.
CNAME www @ 1 Hour
TXT @ v=spf1 -all

TXT @ abc123abc123abc123

(2) These lines do not appear to be impacted by the template and will continue to self populate.

(3) This seems to be my problem line. I can not enter "Forwarded" as an A record. The record disappears.

So given the above observations, should GoDaddy rewrite the script to NOT OVERWRITE the "A @ Forwarded" record?

My current work around is to apply the template a chunk at a time then edit the forwarding url link to force it back into the record. The forwarding url varies by domain so it needs to be manually set.

Of course anyone having this issue or a solution please reply.

.....................................................................................
Domainer, Web Developer, JohnNapoletano.com

Hi @JohnN, thanks for posting.

What you mentioned towards the end of your second post would be the best way to do what you described. The Templates replace all applicable dns settings, basically the template replaces the zone file for the domain when it's applied. Since Forwarding cant be set through the DNS template, you would need to manually set Forwarding after applying a template.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Guys,

Someone hacked my account and did this with one of my domains, so I must know exactly what these mean. I am attaching you a screenshot so please explain it to me like I'm 5: 

Capture.PNG

By the way, it was all happening while I was on the phone with your customer support, they "only" advised a PIN change even though I did my best to explain all of my emails, passwords and even google authenticator were recently hacked. Is there a way to know who did this, who had access to this domain? SInce it is the same person that stole my cryptocurrency and is now trying to access all of my accounts. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lazar_jovanovic. Thanks for posting. The records in your screenshot are all default records for a GoDaddy registered domain. In order, they are:

• The record that controls where your domain points. Right now it appears to be "parked" (pointing to a default page).
  • The record that makes www.yourdomain.com work.
  • The record that facilitates connecting with 3rd party providers like Wix or Weebly. 
  • The first (of two) nameservers your domain should use to access these DNS records.
  • The second nameserver your domain should use. 
  • The SOA record (Start Of Authority) tells other servers which nameserver to check first for DNS information about your domain. 

I'm not sure why changing your PIN was the only option suggested. You can also add two-step verification. Hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.