cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain forwarding with masking not working

We recently renamed our Center for a scientist and  medical doctor important to our field.  I have both my site (tuftscimar.org) and the URL I want  to direct to that site (levycimar.org) registered with GoDaddy.

I do not use GoDaddy site builders. I do use Wordpress, but it's not a managed Wordpress. 

I spoke with tech support who said that domain forwarding with masking is broken. They said there is no ETA on when it will be fixed. Is this true? Or is there some other  reason for why domain forwarding with masking won't work? thanks for any advice you can provide. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@tuftscimar 

Well I can't say why forwarding with masking may not be working, but I can tell you I wouldn't recommend it from a technology / SEO perspective -

Forward with Masking is really just loading the site in an iFrame which is not good for many reasons

What you are better off doing is point both domains to the server and doing the redirect on the server.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Super User III

It looks like masking is not allowed by the X-Frame-Options security setting of the website.  Since masking is based on outdated standards I highly recommend avoiding.  Ideally as @PL281  pointed out the domain you want to redirect should be added to the same hosting and pointed on that end.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@tuftscimar 

Well I can't say why forwarding with masking may not be working, but I can tell you I wouldn't recommend it from a technology / SEO perspective -

Forward with Masking is really just loading the site in an iFrame which is not good for many reasons

What you are better off doing is point both domains to the server and doing the redirect on the server.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User III

It looks like masking is not allowed by the X-Frame-Options security setting of the website.  Since masking is based on outdated standards I highly recommend avoiding.  Ideally as @PL281  pointed out the domain you want to redirect should be added to the same hosting and pointed on that end.