cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Hosting a Subdomain with a domain registered with GoDaddy but pointed elsewhere

Hi!

I've got a domain that's registered with Godaddy, with the nameservers pointed at Vimeo's VHX service. No hosting for it currently, just the DNS pointing at Vimeo (highballtv.com). What I need to do is create a subdomain (watch.highballtv.com), but I'm curious about how that would work. 

If I create a hosting account, can I just set it to watch.highballtv.com? Will doing that impact any of the domain settings at all?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mattcampagna 

Generally speaking GoDaddy does not automatically change the DNS settings unless you specifically click the button that says update OR if it is already pointing to the GoDaddy DNS... and even in that case it is typically only the main @ record and MX records that would ever be touched

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@mattcampagna 

This assumes that Vimeo's service allows for that - In theory yes you would create your hosting account with the subdomain and then in Vimeo add an A record for the subdomain pointing to the GoDaddy IP

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I might've been unclear; the domain is registered with GoDaddy; the DNS records here point to Vimeo.

I'd assume I'd need to modify the DNS settings here to forward the subdomain traffic to the GoDaddy hosting account, but since the domain isn't currently using a hosting account, my concern is that GoDaddy would affect the settings in some way, resulting in a disruption to service of the main domain. I realize I may be over-thinking it.

@mattcampagna 

Generally speaking GoDaddy does not automatically change the DNS settings unless you specifically click the button that says update OR if it is already pointing to the GoDaddy DNS... and even in that case it is typically only the main @ record and MX records that would ever be touched

View solution in original post

Great, thanks!