cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Redirect to new site at GoDaddy

Hi

I’m trying to find the best way of redirecting from an old site to my new one on GoDaddy. Previously I had a website on the promotemyplace domain but I have a new website in Wordpress and its hosted by GoDaddy. I can’t see on promotemy place how to redirect away from them - I can see how I could redirect TO them which isn’t what I need. I can also see how I can redirect away from godaddy - again not what I’m look to do

I have dropped a note to them but I’ve not yet received an answer - just wondered if I could do it from the reverse side e.g pull into my godaddy domain rather than push from my promote my place?

Thanks in anticipation 

Barry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @barrythurston,

Welcome to the Community!

An external lookup shows the domain is registered at Enom.com, or their reseller (your old hosting provider?). Do you own the domain - are you the registrant?

If not, you'll have very little control of the domain. With access to the DNS, you can update the A Record on the domain to match the IP address shown on your hosting plan with GoDaddy. That will direct it to your new website here. But if you're not the owner, the current holder may not allow this action.

If you are the registrant and have access to the domain, you can transfer it to GoDaddy by unlocking it and obtaining the Authorization code. Once with GoDaddy, the connection is easy. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III

If it is on the providers domain it would be up to them if they'll do the redirect.  If you do have your own domain for it you should be able to transfer it to a provider that allows you to do the redirect.

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer

They aren’t being that helpful unfortunately - they say I could do it if it was my own domain but as its a promotemyplace.com they wont do it. I say won’t as I can’t imagine its that difficult to do it if they wanted to

Hi @barrythurston,

Welcome to the Community!

An external lookup shows the domain is registered at Enom.com, or their reseller (your old hosting provider?). Do you own the domain - are you the registrant?

If not, you'll have very little control of the domain. With access to the DNS, you can update the A Record on the domain to match the IP address shown on your hosting plan with GoDaddy. That will direct it to your new website here. But if you're not the owner, the current holder may not allow this action.

If you are the registrant and have access to the domain, you can transfer it to GoDaddy by unlocking it and obtaining the Authorization code. Once with GoDaddy, the connection is easy. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

No - we don’t own it. It was a fast and dirty solution about 4 years ago and we should have used our own domain but we left it on a promotemyplace.com. The website is very inflexible (its for holiday lets) and we have since rewritten in wordpress and now using our own domain.

On the promotemyplace I have no access to DNS, .htaccess or sitemaps

The new site has been running since September - all I’ve done for the time being is to put a note on every page on the old site with a link across to the corresponding page on the new site.

I can see through google analytics that I am getting referrals through that route.

I’ll close it at the end of the year - its a shame as its quite well established in google and we still get a lot of exposure through that route

To add to the complexity its a http: site - the new one being https: