cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Simple instructions for hosting a site on GD when the domain name was purchased elsewhere

I am trying to help someone who has purchased a domain name from Google and I want to host the associated web site on GoDaddy.

Suppose the domain x.com is purchased from Google.

1. How to I modify the Google settings to point to GoDaddy?

2 What do I place on GoDaddy to host the website? I currently have a version of the site on GoDaddy as a sub-domain off of one of my existing domains - like y.test.com where test is a domain registered with GD.

Can the x.com be somehow open the y.test.com site or do I need to create a new domain under GD called x.com?

I have read that you can do such a thing but I need a hint!

Thanks,

Pat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have now discovered that .app domains (at least under Google) are required to use ssl AND self-signed certificates are NOT acceptable! Thank you for helping me investigate this!

Pat Gerstle

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@patgerstle 

Hi Pat - so there are a few different pieces you asked here

1) Managed DNS (Modify the domain to point to GoDaddy)

You have 2 options here

A) Manage the DNS at GoDaddy which would mean going to https://dcc.godaddy.com and adding the domain as DNS Hosting only option and then in Google Adjusting the name servers to point to GoDaddy https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3290309?hl=en

B) Keep the DNS at Google and just adjust the A record for the domain https://support.google.com/domains/answer/9211383?hl=en&ref_topic=9018335

2) GoDaddy Settings for the domain - 

So I am assuming you have this on a cPanel account - you would need to add the additional domain to the cPanel account and point it to the correct folder - if it is a WordPress site you would also need to adjust the site settings for the live domain.

Personally I do not recommend hosting multiple websites on a single cPanel account - specifically because if one site gets compromised your entire account can be compromised. (Just my 2 cents)

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you for the reply - I think I am almost there! Access to site now
works on my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) but I get the following error
on my PC:

This site has a security policy called HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS),
which means that Firefox can only connect to it securely. You can’t add an
exception to visit this site.

I don't how this got set or whether it is controlled by Google or GoDaddy
but since I don't need it, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Pat Gerstle

@patgerstle 

What is your domain??

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

sdct.app

I’m getting back a cert error like your SSL certificate needs to be updated

I have now discovered that .app domains (at least under Google) are required to use ssl AND self-signed certificates are NOT acceptable! Thank you for helping me investigate this!

Pat Gerstle

View solution in original post