cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Using Secure SMTP over TLS

I need to setup secure email on my domain so secure SMTP over TLS is enabled. I understand a certificate will need to be installed on each device using an email associated with the domain. Does GoDaddy already have these certificates or would I need to purchase them?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Using Secure SMTP over TLS

@Thrgk 

As this suggests you can use Office 365 or Google Suite - I suggest finding an IT person who can help you (local would be best) as there is often client side setup to this and not something that is just install and it works, there are a number of "behind the scenes" elements to do

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Thrgk 

What email platform are you using - WorkSpace / cPanel(VPS) / something else.

Personally if you are concerned about security of email, I would be looking at Office 365 as there are then 3rd party add-ins for doing additional encryption / HIPAA compliance.

Email on a cPanel/VPS is for the most part just POP/IMAP even if you have a secure connection to the server it isn't encrypted email in the same sense. You would need a 3rd party app to go to the next level

I was just looking up a service - and it showed the certificates being generated by the server.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted
New

Hi,

I am using an email GoDaddy, I purchased a domain and added emails through GoDaddy. And I sign into my emails with Office 365.

Sorry I am a noob with emails
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Thrgk 

Ok it sounds like you are using Office 365 (purchased through GoDaddy)

From what I've read if you are looking to use Encrypted email with Office 365 you actually need a different level product from Microsoft  (https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/office-365-message-encryption)

Office365 doesn't use SMTP in the same fashion as POP/IMAP as it's all built into the exchange server and uses some different protocols 

Highlighted
New

Hmm ok.

This is the presentation and they also sent me some instructions but nothing detailed. Is there a service to do this if I cannot get it ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fda.gov/media/117444/download&ved=2...
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Thrgk 

As this suggests you can use Office 365 or Google Suite - I suggest finding an IT person who can help you (local would be best) as there is often client side setup to this and not something that is just install and it works, there are a number of "behind the scenes" elements to do

View solution in original post