cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

Transitioning from old Windows platform to Plesk hosting

I received an email today saying my would be moved from an old Windows platform this weekend. Godaddy had tried and failed to make this transition in the past. Since then I have transferred an application to friend's site and now understand some of the issues. I need to talk to a Godaddy representative and develop a transition plan. If Goddady tries the transition this weekend it will fail and upset my users.

I have tried to talk to a support representative but he was unhelpful and ended the chat session without any resolution of the issue. - Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When I logged in yesterday morning I got to the old platform.  Not sure what the situation was, I decided to upload to the server some files I had updated over the weekend and also made other changes in the morning. Then, around 4 pm my time, I received a message that the move to the new platform was complete.  I dont think that any changes were lost while the file copying was taking place.

I have performed some superficial testing and everything seems to be working except for an app under development, which failed, but I suspect that is due to other issues.  So I am closing this thread.  Thanks, Guys.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User I

Hello @mikeb1 and welcome to the community. 

From what you are saying is sounds like GoDaddy is wanting to migrate you to a more updated Plesk host becuase most likely your current Plesk environment is probably in a old environment. 

What is the application? (Just curious.) Is this application a custom in-house app or a purchased application product? If its a purchased application product, could this be something that you reached out to the vendor to see what the application might need for the new Plesk environment?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

The site is presently running on an old Windows platform.  The applications use mySQL and I have identified 2 issues with one of the applications I moved to a friend's Plesk environment:

Some SQL commands using time fail, presumably that is due to the difference is handling time between Windows and Linux.

The Windows platform is not case sensitive while the Linux platform is sensitive. Due sloppy programing on my part, some links fail on Linux that work on Windows due to case being inconsistent between the link and the web page name. 

There may be other issues with other applications but I do not have a test environment to identify them.

The transition should be from Classic/Legacy Windows hosting to Plesk Windows hosting.

Apologies, my mis-spelling

Community Manager

Hey 

@mikeb1. Thanks for posting. I wanted to clarify a few points. If we migrate your Windows Web Hosting plan, we'll move it to a Plesk Windows plan as @Nate mentioned. You do not have to worry about being moved to a Linux account. Second, if for some reason the migration fails, we will roll back the process. Your website should not go down during this process. However, you will not be able to request the migration be delayed. Sorry 😞

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for the news (to me).  If GoDaddy would just communicate better with its site owners it would reduce the friction in transitions.  I have not found any documentation about the various platforms that GoDaddy uses and therefore had to make my own presumptions.

What is GoDaddy's definition of migration failure?  If an application breaks is that migration failure? If so then the site owner should be involved in the transition.  If not then GoDaddy is negligent in serving its customers.

The last try at this migration failed but GoDaddy never bothered to tell me the result.  It took me a long while to realize that it had failed.  The bottom line is that GoDaddy needs to improve its communication.

Lets hope that this try at migration works.

When I logged in yesterday morning I got to the old platform.  Not sure what the situation was, I decided to upload to the server some files I had updated over the weekend and also made other changes in the morning. Then, around 4 pm my time, I received a message that the move to the new platform was complete.  I dont think that any changes were lost while the file copying was taking place.

I have performed some superficial testing and everything seems to be working except for an app under development, which failed, but I suspect that is due to other issues.  So I am closing this thread.  Thanks, Guys.

View solution in original post