cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Is SSL certification on blog required?

I read it in one of your answers, that “only secure sites that handle personal information or eCommerce sites” are required to add SSL Certification. My query is, I am running a blog and no personal info of users is asked anywhere. So in that case do I still need to secure my site?

4 REPLIES 4
Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Re: Is SSL certification on blog required?

@pooja45 it's not mandatory, but it looks good.

If you run an ecommerce site, where people send financial info, you are still not forced to use SSL. However, the standard is to use it, so your customer's data is sent to and from your website encrypted. And there may be some regulations that apply, depending on your location.

For a personal blog, where you may get comments from users, you can use SSL/TLS to secure the communications between your readers and your site, and you get SEO plus because of that.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo Smiley Happy
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution Smiley Very Happy

I appreciate your response.
I'm not sure if I can ask in the same thread. But my next query is would you please direct me as to how may I get SSL and TLS. My site if hosted on godaddy itself, "Economy Web Hosting Windows".

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

@pooja45

I wrote an article for the GoDaddy Blog that you might find interesting:

Do you need SSL encryption if you don’t sell anything on your website?

All sites that I build include SSL whether they are eCom, personal, business or hobby.  No matter -- that is now the standard.

Also, visitors are now used to seeing SSL -- why give them a reason to wonder? Browsers show a visual broken lock in the URL location bar for sites that are not SSL.  Chrome is going to start visible warnings in October when folks visit a site that does not have SSL (“Starting October 2017, Chrome (version 62) will show a “NOT SECURE” warning when users enter text in a form on an HTTP page, and for all HTTP pages in Incognito mode”.)

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Helper VI
Helper VI

@pooja45 Sure, you just have to buy an SSL certificate, and then from your account panel, you can assign the SSL to the hosting account. As simple as that! Smiley Happy

@Muse made a good point there Smiley Happy

The browsers will start to warn users if they are not in secure site. And also, it's the standard nowadays.

There are also free SSL certificates, like Let'sEncrypt and Cloudflare.

But with an own SSL certificate (issued to you) you get more credibility.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo Smiley Happy
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution Smiley Very Happy