cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
spreggo
New

SSL Certificate for website with existing Squarespace shop on its own Certificate.

My client has a Wordpress website on GoDaddy hosting. They also have a Squarespace shop, hosted by Squarespace, which exists on a subdomain called 'shop.' The shop portion has it's own SSL Certificate provided through Squarespace.

The client would like to also purchase a certificate for the main website (to alleviate customer concerns).

Will purchasing a standard certificate interfere with the certificate for the shop subdomain?

Thanks for your help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MrVapor
Super User 2020

@spreggo 

No, the SSL on the primary domain will not affect any sub-domains unless it's a Wildcard SSL.You should be fine putting one on the primary domain.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

dc352
Resolver III

The first answer is correct - purchasing multiple certificates for various subdomains will not cause any trouble. When users visit your client's website, their web browsers will receive a certificate at the beginning of the session.

Only this certificate is checked against the visited domain name. What matters is that your client's main website will have installed a certificate that correctly matches the its domain name. 

Websites serving large numbers of visitors will have multiple servers, each of them can have installed its own certificate. This is a common situation.

The only thing you have to ensure is that the new certificate will match the domain name of you client's webserver where it is installed 🙂

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

2 REPLIES 2
MrVapor
Super User 2020

@spreggo 

No, the SSL on the primary domain will not affect any sub-domains unless it's a Wildcard SSL.You should be fine putting one on the primary domain.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

dc352
Resolver III

The first answer is correct - purchasing multiple certificates for various subdomains will not cause any trouble. When users visit your client's website, their web browsers will receive a certificate at the beginning of the session.

Only this certificate is checked against the visited domain name. What matters is that your client's main website will have installed a certificate that correctly matches the its domain name. 

Websites serving large numbers of visitors will have multiple servers, each of them can have installed its own certificate. This is a common situation.

The only thing you have to ensure is that the new certificate will match the domain name of you client's webserver where it is installed 🙂

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net