cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Wordpress Multisite with Subdomain not working

I am trying to create one area in my website www.safejungle.com using a different theme than the main website.  I created a subdomain in GoDaddy DNS.  I installed Multisite using the subdomain process.  So I now have 2 sites set up in Wordpress correctly, and I can see both sites in Network Admin - Sites.  The second site is named "games.safejungle.com" to match the subdomain i created, and under the Info tab for the site it correctly says games.safejungle.com.  However, under the settings tab for the site, it says the siteurl is www.safejungle.com, not the subdomain.  Any change I try to make on this site overwrites any change I try to make on the original site, even when making the changes under the individual sites, not using network.

I'm not sure at this point how to make the 2nd site in Wordpress Multisite actually resolve to the subdomain so I can have two different themes in the same website.  Right now, if you type in www.games.safejungle.com into a browser you get "Server Not Found"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Advocate VII

Hi @kpett,

It sounds like you might need to make sure all of your domains/subdomains are properly mapped.  I've struggled with this a bit too!

Here is a good link to get started:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/?s=domain+mapping

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Advocate VII

Hi @kpett,

It sounds like you might need to make sure all of your domains/subdomains are properly mapped.  I've struggled with this a bit too!

Here is a good link to get started:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/?s=domain+mapping

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

Can you use WordPress Multisite with subdomains? The link in the solved comment is only relevant if you have a cpanel.

Can you use WordPress Multisite with subdomains on Managed WordPress? The link in the solved comment is only relevant if you have a cpanel.

I couldn't get the subdomain to work.  Went ahead and set up a cPanel instead.  But then couldn't get an SSL certificate installed on the cPanel add-domain.  On phone support would not help - said SSL certificates are not supported by GoDaddy phone help.  Very frustrating.