cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

install wordpress on live website

I have a live website and would like to convert it over to word press. can I add/install word press to my live website without affecting it? I would like to design/develop the new word press site and then switch it over to replace my current live website when it's finished. Is this possible? I didn't want to install word press and accidently overwrite my current website.

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: install wordpress on live website

Hi @dbosky!

I would advise against adding WordPress to a live site, since it would interfere with or possibly erase any current site you have. WordPress is a content management system, so it is kind of like a house that will contain all of your content. If you try to add it to a live site, then it's like having one house on top of the other one.

However, if you would like to create and work on a WordPress website while the other one is still live, that definitely is possible. The easiest way to accomplish this is through Managed WordPress, which allows you to create your site on a temporary domain, and then switch everything over to your actual domain when you're ready. It just depends on what your goals are and what kind of hosting you currently have.

I hope this helps!

Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: install wordpress on live website

You have several options when it comes to installing and configuring a WordPress install while keeping your existing website @dbosky. If you choose Managed WordPress you can create a staging environment. You could give WordPress its own directory. Typically I'd say just install WordPress in a subdirectory so you'd have yourwebsite.com and install WordPress in wp.yourwebsite.com where wp is the subdirectory. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head