cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper VI

Cloud server: Lost connection to outside

Hi there!

I'm having an issue with the cloud servers.

I signed up for the cloud servers, which offers a 30 day free trial.

I set up a LAMP stack, worked perfectly.

Then I tried to use a LEMP stack, installing nginx and configuring it to work with php to serve a wordpress site.

Then, I rebooted the server from ssh. Since then the server was unable to communicate to the outside world. I was unable to ping google, connect via ssh, or access via IP address.

I read that other user had the same problem, and a gd employee asked him to run a script. However, I don't have that script.

So, since I made a snapshot I recovered it. But, had to create a new server in order to restore the snapshot, and that server is off the 30 day trial, so i'm being charged right now.

Now, this new server has connection problems also!
    I can sometimes connect to it via ssh (putty), and if I connect via the console tab here and try to ping google, most of the time it fails, giving me 100% of packet loss.

My server uses debian 8.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
    And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, it seems that's the problem, but I can't confirm. Actually I don't know. I deleted the server.

However, it may help other users to not run "reboot" command from ssh until this gets solved.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I signed up for a cloud VM, was in the process if setting up the server the way I wanted and just finished applying all of the OS patches. Rebooted the server (sudo shutdown -r now). No more internet access. I could access the console from the web page, but it would not answer the from the internet nor would it make an outbound connection to the internet. Talking to Eleonor in Godaddy support, I was told I would not be able to access my server for 30 minutes after a reboot. Assuming she is correct, what a useless product! Assuming she's not correct, what horrible customer support. Take your pick.

Sorry about that! Your server should be available as you would expect after a reboot. 

Can you ping out from your VM when you are logged in to it via the console? (i.e. ping google.com)?

Did you change any of the network configurations during your setup (specifically routing)? 

Lastly, what operating system did you install?

Thanks,

Brad

Thanks,

Brad

Dev Manger - Cloud Servers

Ubuntu 16.04.

I did not change any of the network settings. I removed sendmail and installed postfix. I installed webmin. and I run apt-get upgrade to apply all of the updates.

I could not ssh in from the internet, and I using the console I could not ssh our to an internet host. I did not try ping. Webmin also was not answering from the internet. I checked via the console that iptables was not running and it was off. (everything was working before the reboot).

I'm completely in shock that she said I had to wait 30 minutes. Completely defies all logic.

Can you run the following script (as root):

/usr/local/bin/cloud-finalize-network

I think something happened to your routing table.

Thanks,

Brad

Dev Manger - Cloud Servers

Looks like an issue with DNS what happens if you try to ping 8.8.8.8 ?

Regards, R. Zelnick

Yes, it seems that's the problem, but I can't confirm. Actually I don't know. I deleted the server.

However, it may help other users to not run "reboot" command from ssh until this gets solved.

View solution in original post

New

I'm having the same problem.

Basically, I shutdown my server (so I could take a snapshot) and when it comes back up, I do not have any connectivity to the outside.

I made no changes to network settings.

I am unable to ping any Internet addresses. (I tried IP addresses to rule out DNS)

I've shut it down multiple times and started it backup.

I've removed all iptables rules.

Unfortunately, I can't install traceroute to see where it is failing.

It's as if NAT is broken.

I had a similar problem like this once where the ARP cache had to be cleared.  Not knowing the design, I'm thinking that if the server is powered off and later powered up on another physical server then the router/layer 3 switches are looking at old physical server not the new one.

Meanwhile, I'm down.