cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Uploading Files to Public FTP folder with Dreamweaver

I really need some help with this. I'm a student studying web design and development on line. I've followed the tutiorial videos from the school on how to get online. I'm having a problem getting my files into the Public FTP folder.

The tutorial video says if the www or public folders aren't visable on Dreamweaver Remote Server then I should upload the files to the root directory. But when I do this it uploads the files to the home directory.

My domain displays this message...

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I've called GoDaddy tech support and was told that the files need to be in the Public FTP folder.
I just can't seem to find how to do this with Dreamweaver. It doesn't seem to give me the option.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Uploading Files to Public FTP folder with Dreamweaver

Hi @DaveMetalife,

The public folder that support are referring to to be more exact is the 'public_html' folder. The underscore is an important part of that folder, it's not 'public html' for example. 

You would need to provide the path too in Dreamweaver as in http://example.com/public_html if I remember correctly. Once the built in FTP client is set up in dreamweaver, it's then easy going. But before you proceed, log into your account and carefully without moving or editing anything, explore your file system and see if you can see your files anywhere.

Adobe have excellent documentation unsurpassed in my humble view, but to help you along I have searched and found the following:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+upload+a+dreamweaver+site+to+godaddy+hosting

and.....

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/dreamweaver-cs4-publish-your-website-5005

and...

https://www.lynda.com/search?q=godaddy

hope this helps. 

Thank you so much! 🙂 That YouTube video really helped. I got my files uploaded to the correct place and the site is active.
Much appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DaveMetalife,

happy to have helped Cat Happy

Webpage not updating

When running Dreamweaver CS5, WinSCP, and the Godaddy cPanel File Manager in Chrome at the same time Dreamweaver and the File Manager uploaded files to the wrong directory.  I closed WinSCP session, shutdown WinSCP, restarted Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver uploads correctly.  Just a heads up.  See DETAILS: below.
Economy Web Hosting Linux US
Chrome v.61.0.3163.100 (OFFICIAL BUILD)(64-bit)
WinSCP v.5.9.5 (Build 7441)
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 v.11.0 (Build 4909)
Windows 10 Pro v.1703 (Build 15063.632)
KEYWORDS: folder creation error log version website image graphic ftp code php html script update updated refresh files not updating
DETAILS:  Dreamweaver and/or File Manager would upload, I would go to Chrome, reload (the page I was working on does not cache but just to be safe I "disable cache" in DevTools and F5) and the updates would not be there. I accidentally stumbled upon where Dreamweaver was uploading to and I was able to re-create the event. I deleted the file with File Manager, uploaded the file with Dreamweaver that is in the site_html folder and Dreamweaver uploaded it to private/site_html. Saw it with my own eyes.  I deleted the private/site_html folder, uploaded again and Dreamweaver threw an "File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed." error message.  I re-created the private/site_html folder with File Manager, uploaded with Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver again uploaded it to private/site_html without the error message.  I do not know where the File Manager uploaded to.  Once I saw I could solve the problem by shutting down WinSCP and restarting Dreamweaver I did not bother to find out where File Manager was uploading to.  I discovered this while working on four php scripts.  I was running the scripts on Godaddy's server, not my local server.  None of the scripts uploads a file, creates, or deletes a folder.

The remote host refused the attempt to connect

Here's the story... After setting up FTP in Dreamweaver, it worked and let me in. Then I tried out website builder, saved it and that worked, but when I tried to go back into the Dreamweaver FTP it read the following error:

An FTP error occoured - cannot make connection to the host.

The remote host actively refused the attempt to connect to it. This may be due to one or more of the following reasons:

- 4 reasons listed.

I should specify the passwords, user name and FTP address are what they should be, nor did they change.

When I looked up the issue, all I could find was someone recommended changing the port from 21 to 22. It failed to work. Other than that I have this issue on 2 PCs with Dreamweaver.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.