About .br Domains
NIC BR also know as Registro.br is the sponsor and KeySystems/ToWeb is our backend provider for some customers for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD).br extension that represents Brazil.
Who can register .br domains?
You must have a Brazilian Tax ID (CNPJ / CPF) to register a .com.br, and .net.br domain.
- .br: Not Supported
- .com.br: Intended for commercial entities.
- .net.br: Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
When registering a .br domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 2 - 26 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special characters (e.g., & and #)
- IDNs: Supported (Portugese)
- Registration length: 1-10 years
- Renewal length: 1-10 years
- Your .br domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether you set the domain name to auto-renew or manually renew. We attempt auto-renewal on day one of the month prior to the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 10 days later. If that attempt fails, we make a final attempt 10 days later.
- For example: Your .br domain name expires on October 10. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by September 20. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on September 1, September 10, and September 20.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 20th of the month prior to the expiration date, you can attempt to recover it, and there might be a fee to do so. See renew my expired domain for more information.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- The transfer in process is unique for .br. See Transfers and updating Service Providers for .br domains for more information.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Not supported
- If you have opted to use our Trustee Services and would like to transfer away, please contact our GoDaddy Guides to request the domain transfers.
- If you have provided a contact from Brazil, the transfer away process is unique for .br. The domain does not need to be unlocked, you must update the Service Provider, and transfer ownership on your existing .br domains to the gaining Service Provider via the registry website.
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Not supported
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not supported
- CashParking: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- To update the domain's contact information, please contact our GoDaddy Guides.
- Must use: 1-6 Authoritive Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6
- Cannot use: DNSSEC, custom nameservers
You must list the authoritative nameservers in the domain's zone file prior to registering or modifying the domain. You also need to verify the nameservers are resolving properly before assigning them to the domain in your GoDaddy account. If you're using GoDaddy nameservers, we'll handle this for you.
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
You can only delete a .br domain by using the registry's online form.
- Want to register a .com.br domain? Search for your domain today.
- Want to register a .net.br domain? Search for your domain today.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .br domain.