About .jp domains
JPRS is the sponsor and is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .jp extension that represents Japan.
Who can register .jp domains?
Individuals can register a .jp domain name if they reside in Japan or have a company that is located there - the registrant contact country must be Japan. If you have further questions, please see the Japan Registry Services FAQ.
When registering a .jp domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use:
- ASCII: 3 - 63 Characters
- Kanji: 3 - 15 Characters
- Hiragana: 3 - 15 Characters
- Katakana: 3 - 15 Characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Supported (Japanese)
- Registration length: 1 year
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Expiration date will be at the end of the month registered.
- Renewal request can be made between 30 and 2 days prior to the expiration date.
- The new expiration date will not reflect in the registry's WHOIS until the current expiration date has passed.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- When you purchase a .jp domain name transfer from us, please first list your mailing address located in Japan in your account information to ensure the Japanese mailing address is listed on the domain name during the transfer process.
- There is NO extension of the expiration date, and authorization code is not required. Please leave this field blank to further authorize the transfer.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Not Supported
- The process to transfer your .jp domain to another registrar is unique, the domain does not need to be unlocked, you must submit the transfer with the gaining registrar, (the registrar to whom you are transferring). You will not need an authorization code to request a transfer.
- Once we receive notice from the registry that a transfer request has been submitted, we will send you an email instructing you how to authorize the transfer. Please note, the transfer must be authorized through your GoDaddy account within 8 days, otherwise you may need to restart the transfer process with the gaining registrar.
- If your new registrar requests the REG-ID for your domain, please contact our GoDaddy Guides for help.
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Not supported
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not supported
- CashParking: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Only the Registrant contact is required by the registry. Technical, Administrative, and Billing contacts are optional. You can update all domain name contact information through the Domain Manager in your GoDaddy account.
- Must use: 1-20 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4, IPv6
- Cannot use: DNSSEC
RefundsFor details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .jp domain names, please reach out to our GoDaddy Guides for help.