Disable a WordPress plugin with FTP and FileZilla
Sometimes you need to deactivate a plugin while troubleshooting an issue on your WordPress website. If you're unable to log in to WordPress, you can disable plugins with FTP. You can use any FTP app, but these steps describe disabling plugins with FileZilla.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- In the Remote site section, locate the folder with your WordPress website.
- Navigate to the /wp-content/plugins folder.
- Select and hold (or right-click) the folder with the plugin you want to disable, and select Rename.
- Add the suffix .renamed to the folder name. For example, if you use the Akismet plugin, rename the akismet folder to akismet.renamed. This deactivates the Akismet plugin.