Get Started with VPS & Dedicated servers
GoDaddy's VPS & Dedicated servers provide the power and flexibility needed to host your websites and applications. Follow this series to get started and learn about some important features your server has to offer.
1: Set up your Gen 4 server
Follow the steps in your GoDaddy account to set up your server.
2: Build or move your website
Set up your site files, code, and databases on your server.
- Build a new website: Add your domain in cPanel or Plesk, and then install your desired application. You can use cPanel's Installatron or Plesk's Applications to do automatic installs for selected applications.
- Manually move your existing site: Add your domain in cPanel or Plesk, and then use File Manager, FTP, phpMyAdmin, or SSH to upload your files or database.
- Automatically move your existing site: Use WHM's or Plesk's migration tool when you're moving from another cPanel or Plesk server.
- Have GoDaddy move your site: Contact us to learn about our paid site migration services.
3: Update DNS to go live
When people try to visit your site, you'll need to make sure they're properly directed to your new VPS or Dedicated server. When you're ready to go live, make sure your DNS is pointed to your new server IP address. DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to show up on the internet globally.
4. Install an SSL certificate
Encrypt your domain with a GoDaddy SSL, WHM's AutoSSL or Plesk's Let's Encrypt extension:
- GoDaddy SSL: You can purchase a Managed SSL Service where we handle the installation and maintenance, or you can purchase an SSL certificate and install it yourself.
- WHM AutoSSL: Will run automatically once a day after DNS has been updated.
5: What's next?
Get the most out of your VPS or Dedicated server by using some of these additional features.
- Set up email: By creating email accounts in cPanel or Plesk.
- Domain Monitoring: Add your domain to Monitoring to get notified through email when the status of your websites and SSLs changes.
- Backups: Access your automated and manual backups.