Manually move WordPress to another folder
You may need to move WordPress from one folder to another in the same hosting account. It's certainly possible, but it takes a few more steps than simply moving the files.
These steps should be taken before moving your site:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account and open your product. (Need help opening your product?).
- In the WordPress admin select Settings from the menu and click on General.
- The general settings for your WordPress site include the address it uses, modify the following by adding or removing the folder you're moving to or from:
- WordPress Address (URL): (e.g. http://www.coolexample.com/newfolder).
- Site Address (URL): (e.g. http://www.coolexample.com/newfolder).
- Save the changes.
- This should cause your WordPress admin to display a 404 error. You're ready to move the content!
Move the content
These steps outline how to move your content to another folder:
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- Navigate to the folder containing your WordPress site.
- Select all of the files, and download them to your local computer.
- Within your FTP client, change to the folder where you want to move your WordPress site.
- Upload your WordPress files to this folder.
- Test your site by navigating to the new URL.
Note: If you skipped the preparation steps you will need to update the WordPress Address and Site Address manually by performing a Database find and replace to update the WordPress Address and Site Address.