Transfer my domain to GoDaddy
When transferring your domain to GoDaddy, you'll keep the remaining time on your registration, and we'll add another year of registration for free. Only your domain will transfer, but our expert Guides can help you transfer your email and website to GoDaddy, too. There are special instructions when transferring .uk, .ca, .eu, .es, .se and .au domains to GoDaddy.
Before you start
To make sure your transfer goes smoothly, take these steps with your current registrar before starting the transfer to GoDaddy.
- Unlock the domain at your current registrar. This makes it possible to move the domain from the current registrar over to GoDaddy.
- Get the authorization code for your domains. You might see this referred to as the auth code, EPP code, transfer code or transfer key. Your current registrar can help you get your code.
- Verify the contact info on your domain name. The administrator's contact info may be used to stay in touch during the transfer process.
Purchase the domain transfer
Once you're prepped and ready, it's time to purchase the transfer and get the domain moved to your GoDaddy account.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy account or create a new account. (Need help signing in? Find your username or password.)
- Go to the GoDaddy transfers page and search for your domain.
- If your domain is already registered with GoDaddy, we'll show an option for an account transfer to move your domain into another GoDaddy account.
- Make sure your domain is unlocked. We'll show a green status bar if we can verify your domain is unlocked.
- Refresh the unlock status by selecting Refresh Status and we'll recheck to see if the domain is unlocked.
- Enter the authorization code for your domain. You can get the auth code from your current domain registrar.
- Entered the wrong info? Don't worry—you can edit the auth code in your account later.
- Select Continue after the unlock and auth code sections both show green status bars.
- If you selected Refresh Status, you might be moved to the next step without having to select Continue.
- Choose an option for Domain Protection and then select Add Protection. If you prefer not to add Domain Protection, select No Thanks instead.
- Complete the checkout process to officially start your domain transfer.
Most domain transfers take 5–7 days to complete. We'll send you an email if we're unable to process your transfer, and you can check the status of your transfer any time in your GoDaddy account.
- Some domain names may have special requirements and limitations when transferring.
- Get more info on different transfer statuses in our handy guide.
- The additional year of registration is free, plus applicable taxes and fees, including the ICANN fee. Your domain won't get the additional year if the current registration length is already at the maximum for that domain extension. Not all domains are eligible for the additional free year of registration.
- Not all domains are eligible to transfer. Transfer eligibility details can be found in ICANN's Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy and our Domain Name Change of Registrant Agreement.