What is domain protection?
Protecting your GoDaddy domain is an essential part of managing your online presence. We have different levels of domain protection to keep your domain secure.
Select a question to see its answer:
- Why is protecting my domain important?
- What are my protection plan options?
- How will people be able to contact me?
- Can I change my protection plan?
- How can I verify domain ownership?
Why is protecting my GoDaddy domain important?
Eligible domains registered with GoDaddy have all domain contact info automatically substituted with proxy details from our privacy service provider, Domains By Proxy®. However, protecting your domain is about more than keeping your contact info private. Domain Protection also includes options for preventing unauthorized domain actions, such as transferring a domain or making DNS updates. And our Ultimate Domain Protection plan includes billing protection, so you don't lose your domain if your card unexpectedly expires.
What are my protection plan options?
Choose the protection option best suited for you and your online presence.
- Full Domain Protection: Domains will have free privacy to substitute your contact info, and security to prevent your domain from being hijacked. You'll receive alerts on high-risk actions, such as transferring away, updating nameservers and changing contact information, and you'll be required to provide your consent through 2-step verification.
- Ultimate Domain Protection: You'll get all the features of Domain Protection, plus expiration protection. We'll hold your domain if it expires and isn't renewed. We'll automatically enable auto-renew to ensure your domain doesn't accidentally expire. And your domain is also covered with domain privacy to keep your personal contact info private.
- Domain Ownership Protection: Our standalone protection option is only available on domains that aren't eligible for domain privacy. Domain Ownership Protection offers the same protection features as our Ultimate Domain Protection option. These domains are eligible for Domain Ownership Protection:
- .au, .com.au, .net.au, .org.au
- .in, .co.in, .firm.in, .gen.in, .ind.in, .net.in, .org.in
Domains currently on Full Domain Privacy & Protection or Ultimate Domain Protection & Security will continue being protected by these plans, until the domain is canceled, fails to renew or if the protection plan is downgraded.
Can I change my protection level?
Yes, you can change your protection level at any time. You can upgrade your protection to gain additional security features, or downgrade your protection to remove features. Domain privacy is turned on by default, unless you change those settings.
How will people be able to contact me?
You'll get a private email address that can be used to filter, block or forward emails to your chosen email address. This lets you stay in touch with anyone trying to contact the domain owner, while still keeping your personal email address private.
How can I verify domain ownership?
We recommend adding a TXT record to your DNS zone file to verify domain ownership. This is the best option to maintain your privacy while proving your domain ownership. Another option is to turn off domain privacy, which will show all registrant contact information.
- Set up 2-step verification for the best security on your domains and account.
- Make sure you turn on auto-renew to continue your domain registration uninterrupted.